Thornefall Community

Author Topic: Balanced Combat  (Read 17550 times)

• Player
  • The One and Only!
    • View Profile
Balanced Combat
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:34:36 AM »
As in most MMO's I'm guessing the main 3 classes will apply to Thornefall: Melee, Ranger, Mage.

Some games have an overall combat level such as World of Warcraft and GW2 instead of separating the different sections of your combat in which games such as Runescape do.

So, my suggestion is this: In Runescape you have Attack, Strength, Defence... Range and Mage.
Attack lends itself only to Melee, Strength is Melee and Range and Mage are their own things and Defence belongs to all three.
This is unbalanced as Melee has 3 skills whilst the others only use 2.

If you are to go down this route which I suppose you are I propose instead of using 'Attack' use something such as 'Accuracy', 'Dexterity', 'Sleight of Hand'. This would lend itself to all 3 classes, instead of Strength use 'Melee' and then you have 'Range' and 'Mage'.

This means each class has the following...
Melee
Main skill: Melee
Others: Accuracy and Defence

Ranger
Main skill: Range

Mage
Main skill: Magic

Accuracy will determine how often you hit with either class, of course the higher your Accuracy level the more often you will hit.

Melee, Range and Magic determine how high you will hit, this also depends on your opponents Defence level.

Defence basically determines what kind of hits you can take, if you have 1 defence but your opponent has 50 Melee, you're most likely to lose the battle unless you have 99 Range & Accuracy with high health points and a fair amount of food.

W13

• Player
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced Combat
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
So, what you're saying is:

• Rename "Strength" to "Melee".
  • "Attack" and "Defence" will be used for Magic, Ranged, and Melee. - Not just Melee.

Okay, good. I agree. I also think "Attack" should be renamed to "Agility". And this new "Agility" skill should help with all three combat styles (Melee, Ranged, and Magic) but also work like the Agility skill in RuneScape.

• Player
  • The One and Only!
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced Combat
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
So, what you're saying is:

• Rename "Strength" to "Melee".
  • "Attack" and "Defence" will be used for Magic, Ranged, and Melee. - Not just Melee.

Okay, good. I agree. I also think "Attack" should be renamed to "Agility". And this new "Agility" skill should help with all three combat styles (Melee, Ranged, and Magic) but also work like the Agility skill in RuneScape.

Exactly, renaming "Attack" to "Agility" sounds like a good idea to me that would work rather well. :)