Thornefall Community

Author Topic: Skills?  (Read 16368 times)

PT

• Player
  • Runner
    • View Profile
Skills?
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »
So is Thornefall going to have a skill system to RuneScape? I don't want/like to compare games to other games but naturally it happens. I look at Thornefall and see similarities between it and RuneScape. That's not a bad thing but it comes down to the features...

Are we going to train "skills" to gain a "combat level?" How is that going to work?

PT

• Player
  • Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Skills?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »
On the topic of skills, you might want to considering merging some of the less useful skills like firemaking (which wasn't really trained for any other reason than having a high level in...something).
Combining woodcutting and firemaking into one skill called 'forestry' might make the game less 'grind-heavy' so to say.

I really like the idea of "forestry" being a skill rather than woodcutting & firemaking as a separate skill. Maybe they'll have completely different skills, it'll be interesting to see how this game plays out. I'm excited.

gravedead

• Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm going to make a giant list of skill ideas, so bear with me

LumberWorking - Higher the level, the faster you can make fires, and the better fires you can make [Better meaning last longer, and you can cook/use better things on them] Also includes Cutting trees faster, and gathering better logs.

Accuracy - How accurate you are in combat.

Force - How hard you hit. Allows you to wear better weapons

Defense - How much damage you take, allows you to wear better armors.

SpellPower - How much damage you deal with magics, better Spell Power allows for better spell uses, and allows you to use better magic weapons.

Archery - How much damage you do with ranged weapons, allows you to use better weapons and armors.

Enchanting - Allows you to charge orbs that hold X amount of charges. Each spell uses X charges of an orb. The better enchanting you have, the better orbs you can make, and you can enchant armors, jewelry, etc.

I will make alot more later on. I'm just bored, and trying to make more individual skill ideas without copying RS

rodgerwilco

• Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »
The beauty of skills is not based on what skills are available. You can't move away from a dungeons and dragons type game because that's what everybody wants. Combat skills, Mining, Fishing, Woodcutting will always be there, it's just how they are implemented that is going to make this game unique.

All skills should take on a more realistic approach to keep the players interested. Instead of having to sit there and become bored fishing, you should be required to be a little more active. Consistently checking your bait or pulling up lobster cages. Maybe you can choose when you want your lobster cage to come back up. I don't know because I am just brain storming as I type.

That's the thing about runescape that has consistently made me leave the game. It's just not fun to sit and wait for your inventory to fill up.

• Player
  • The One and Only!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:31:03 AM »
The beauty of skills is not based on what skills are available. You can't move away from a dungeons and dragons type game because that's what everybody wants. Combat skills, Mining, Fishing, Woodcutting will always be there, it's just how they are implemented that is going to make this game unique.

All skills should take on a more realistic approach to keep the players interested. Instead of having to sit there and become bored fishing, you should be required to be a little more active. Consistently checking your bait or pulling up lobster cages. Maybe you can choose when you want your lobster cage to come back up. I don't know because I am just brain storming as I type.

That's the thing about runescape that has consistently made me leave the game. It's just not fun to sit and wait for your inventory to fill up.

This exactly, ideas such as being able to purchase boats to fish off which perhaps you can take friends out on.
The better your boat the more chance you have of catching bigger fish and more fish.

Lobster catching should be much more realistic, no one goes in shallow water and shakes a lobster cage and catches a lobster after 10 seconds. Haha. You should be able to throw Lobster cages over the side of your boat and you have to continuously check if you've caught a Lobster or perhaps even 2 Lobsters if you get lucky. Haha. Bigger boats can use more Lobster cages obviously.

You should also be able to fish off peers and such but this would be less experience than if you owned your own boat etc.

Things like this is what makes a game special. :)