Thornefall Community

Author Topic: How will experience be gained? how will pvp work?  (Read 7310 times)

samcro

• Player
    • View Profile
How will experience be gained? how will pvp work?
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Will this be different from say, runescape? I think that experience rates should be on the low end. You don't want to get to the top skills in the first month the game is launched.

I dont think pvp should be limited to only one place. You should be able to roam the world and be able to fight other players. Though i'm not exactly sure what the aim of this game is yet, maybe staff can give some insight?

Cody

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: How will experience be gained? how will pvp work?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
Hi Samcro,

Experience rates are something we're going to toy with. We do have a plan for experience rates (measured in play-hours) currently, but due to the nature of Thornefall we will of course let the community have their say.

That is an interesting idea for PvP. Could you go a bit more into detail on how players not wishing to fight can remain safe? Or do you mean something along the lines of challenging anyone to a dangerous duel wherever you'd like? An all out world war might be a little chaotic!

We love any suggestions we can get, and it's always great to get them early because it lets us build the systems faster and to their full potential. :)

Hope to hear back!

samcro

• Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
Well i was thinking that pvp can occur any where and can only happen if the other player you are fighting is around the same skill level as you..there maybe could be towns where npcs like guards will come attack you if you start fighting another player in order to keep the town pvp free, though if a player wanted they could still try to fight another player there, though they risk the guards coming after them. But as you said a dangerous duel can be with anyone regardless of skill levels but both have to agree through a duel screen before battle.

Cody

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »
Well i was thinking that pvp can occur any where and can only happen if the other player you are fighting is around the same skill level as you..there maybe could be towns where npcs like guards will come attack you if you start fighting another player in order to keep the town pvp free, though if a player wanted they could still try to fight another player there, though they risk the guards coming after them. But as you said a dangerous duel can be with anyone regardless of skill levels but both have to agree through a duel screen before battle.

Seems a bit risky if players are losing their items, doesn't it? It may be frustrating for players to do non-pvp content. The duel system idea would work though, especially because it has to be initiated by two willing players.

Cody

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
Hi AxeHeadSlam,

That's an interesting suggestion. Do not worry, we will be making sure PvE is accessible without any interference from PvP (if it isn't initiated by some means, i.e. a duel request possibly).

Your zoning idea is neat, but there is also not much to comment on at this point. Once players get a real feel for PvP in beta we hope we can all come to an agreement on the type of system to implement so we can get it in early. Should we do a kingdom type "affiliation" system like you described it could affect the game drastically (especially in lore). We'd like to have a bigger community before considering something like this to make sure it is supported by most players. It is doable nonetheless!

Thanks!

Happyguy3216

• Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »
No offense, but I don't like the idea of PvP everywhere. When I was playing Runescape a long time ago and they had that type of thing, very few people kept what they worked for and were happy to get the lowest of tier items off somebody. I hated walking out of spawn just to die. It just shouldn't be implemented in games especially if your more of a PvE person (like me) it's very frusterating to have this.

I do agree with PvP around your level though. That seems to work out the best way. With maybe an exception to areas that are PvP any level, and it's your choice if you enter that area or not. One thing that you could do is maybe request a battle anywhere?