Thornefall Community

Author Topic: Auction House  (Read 5017 times)

• Player
  • The One and Only!
    • View Profile
Auction House
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
To the developers, will an In game Auction House be implemented into the game where players can sell items and others can buy them etc.

To the players, what are your thoughts on an In game Auction House?
Personally I'll have to say I would rather not have an action house In-game due to the fact groups of players can abuse such systems although there can be benefits to the use of an auction house. It has it's pros and cons I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:53:30 AM by 1 »

Chris

• Player
    • View Profile
Re: Auction House
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm against having an auction house. Many people will abuse this system, especially large clans. Take RuneScape's Grand Exchange for example. Merchanting clans buy out a few items to make their prices rise. They dump the items once they reach their peak, or whoever grows impatient first. This will cause havoc on the game's economy, just like it currently is on RS. Even World of Warcraft has this problem. The only way this system can work properly if it's monitored and has restrictions, which in my opinion, would be a waste of time and bad for the game overall. The developers could spend their time on more important things and restrictions aren't fun, they ruin the game's immersion.

I suggest creating a few worlds/servers that are specifically for buying/selling items, merchant worlds so to speak. These world's would have a unique map where players may trade without restrictions and set up their player-owned stands (concept). The player-owned stands feature would benefit players who don't want to wait around for their items to sell. They can simply set one up and leave the world, or log off completely. The purpose of this would be that players would have to socially interact and/or search for the items they need. This would effectively cut down on the players that buy an unreasonable amount of items just to manipulate and profit off of them. Now, to make trading/searching a smooth process.. the map could have specific locations where specific types of items could be sold. A lumberyard area to sell wood, a harbor to sell food, etc.

Note: I have nothing against players who wish to merchant. I only fear that  players will take advantage of an automated system, such as an auction house, and ruin the experience for everyone else.

Just my 2 cents.

Feel free to criticize.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:16:10 PM by Chris »

• Player
  • The One and Only!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »
I'm against having an auction house. Many people will abuse this system, especially large clans. Take RuneScape's Grand Exchange for example. Merchanting clans buy out a few items to make their prices rise. They dump the items once they reach their peak, or whoever grows impatient first. This will cause havoc on the game's economy, just like it currently is on RS. Even World of Warcraft has this problem. The only way this system can work properly if it's monitored and has restrictions, which in my opinion, would be a waste of time and bad for the game overall. The developers could spend their time on more important things and restrictions aren't fun, they ruin the game's immersion.

I suggest creating a few worlds/servers that are specifically for buying/selling items, merchant worlds so to speak. These world's would have a unique map where players may trade without restrictions and set up their player-owned stands (concept). The player-owned stands feature would benefit players who don't want to wait around for their items to sell. They can simply set one up and leave the world, or log off completely. The purpose of this would be that players would have to socially interact and/or search for the items they need. This would effectively cut down on the players that buy an unreasonable amount of items just to manipulate and profit off of them. Now, to make trading/searching a smooth process.. the map could have specific locations where specific types of items could be sold. A lumberyard area to sell wood, a harbor to sell food, etc.

Note: I have nothing against players who wish to merchant. I only fear that  players will take advantage of an automated system, such as an auction house, and ruin the experience for everyone else.

Just my 2 cents.

Feel free to criticize.

This is a very good concept, perhaps to set up one of these stalls the player has to pay 10% tax on the price you're selling your items at thus creating the possibility of a small gold sink. :)

I 100% agree with you about the Auction house, it can certainly ruin the games economy to quite an extent and perhaps make the game far too easy.

gravedead

• Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:36:35 PM »
Wow, the ideas on here are really great, and the fact people are respectful and innovative means this will go a long ways. I would like to see a way to sell/buy items easily, but not as easily as the Grand Exchange on runescape, and I also don't want it to be manipulable.
I thinks stalls is a great idea, like what maplestory has, but you pay gold for a stall permit, you can purchase a stall

4 item stall - You can sell 4 items

8 item - You can sell 8 items

Etc. This makes it so merchants can do what they want effectively, and small time sellers can sell their goods also. I like the 10% tax idea, that's a good gold sink. Also, it should be a flat tax rate. Not

10 gold for 100 gold item sold
100 gold for 1000 item sold
1,000 gold for 10,000 item sold

That way people can't sell for 9,999 and only have a 100 gold tax. Great ideas guys!